FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Two people have died in Florida and raw oyster consumption has been linked to both of the deaths. The oysters were also found to be from Louisana.
According to The Associated Press, a man who recently ate at a restaurant in Fort Lauderdale has died from a bacterial infection after he ate some raw oysters while a man in Pensacola died the same way in the past month.
The manager of the Rustic Inn, Gary Oreal, told the South Florida SunSentinel according to the AP that the man who had died at the Fort Lauderdale restaurant had apparently worked there for years and said that they have served tons of oysters but no one had ever been that sick. The oysters being served were from Louisiana.
The Florida Department of Health sent out inspectors to examine the kitchen at the restaurant and the oysters the day after the man’s death, Oreal told South Florida SunSentinel, per the AP. He said that the restaurant passed the inspection but had decided to issue a warning to people coming to eat at the restaurant about the “risk of eating raw shellfish,” said the AP.
According to the AP, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that about 80,000 people get vibriosis from Vibrio bacteria in the United States every year and only a hundred people died from it. The CDC also told the AP that this bacteria doesn’t change the oyster in any way so it can be very hard to detect it.
©2022 Cox Media Group