Raw oysters from Louisiana linked to 2 deaths in Florida

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Two people have died in Florida and raw oyster consumption has been linked to both of the deaths. The oysters were also found to be from Louisana.

>> Read more trending news

According to The Associated Press, a man who recently ate at a restaurant in Fort Lauderdale has died from a bacterial infection after he ate some raw oysters while a man in Pensacola died the same way in the past month.

The manager of the Rustic Inn, Gary Oreal, told the South Florida SunSentinel according to the AP that the man who had died at the Fort Lauderdale restaurant had apparently worked there for years and said that they have served tons of oysters but no one had ever been that sick. The oysters being served were from Louisiana.

The Florida Department of Health sent out inspectors to examine the kitchen at the restaurant and the oysters the day after the man’s death, Oreal told South Florida SunSentinel, per the AP. He said that the restaurant passed the inspection but had decided to issue a warning to people coming to eat at the restaurant about the “risk of eating raw shellfish,” said the AP.

The Pensacola News Journal reported per the AP, that last week a man in Pensacola died from bacteria found in oysters that he had purchased. It was reported that the oysters came from Louisiana.

According to the AP, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that about 80,000 people get vibriosis from Vibrio bacteria in the United States every year and only a hundred people died from it. The CDC also told the AP that this bacteria doesn’t change the oyster in any way so it can be very hard to detect it.

On AirEasy 102.9 - 80s, 90s and More! Logo

mobile apps

Everything you love about easy1029.com and more! Tap on any of the buttons below to download our app.

amazon alexa

Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!