Mike Pence, second lady test negative for coronavirus

Vice President Mike Pence and second lady Karen Pence tested negative on Sunday for the coronavirus after an outbreak among multiple aides and senior staff.

Chief of Staff Marc Short tested positive Saturday and started the quarantine and contact tracing process, officials said.

“A couple of key staff surrounding the vice president” also tested positive, White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows said.

>> Read more trending news

Pence said he will maintain his travel schedule, which includes a number of campaign stops including a rally Sunday afternoon in North Carolina. Pence was seen wearing a mask Saturday as he returned to Air Force Two after campaigning in Florida.

Pence decided to maintain his travel schedule after consulting with the White House Medical Unit. Pence and his wife, Karen, also tested negative for the virus on Saturday. Pence is considered an essential worker, but it was unclear how campaign activities were considered essential work.

>> Mike Pence’s chief of staff tests positive for coronavirus

Short’s diagnosis comes weeks after dozens in the White House tested positive for the virus including President Donald Trump and first lady Melania.

Marty Obst, a senior political advisor to Mike Pence, tested positive earlier in the week.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

mobile apps

Everything you love about easy1029.com and more! Tap on any of the buttons below to download our app.

amazon alexa

Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!